Portrayed a cold, wet and sometimes insular place, Manchester is actually one of the most exotic cities in the world, researchers claim.
This is due to its cultural diversity, with at least 153 languages spoken. Two-thirds of Mancunian school children are bilingual, with the number of languages likely to increase, according to the study by Manchester University.
The city is more diverse than London, and rivalled only by New York and Paris for its ethnic and linguistic mix, claims Professor Yaron Matras, who carried out the research.
• BBC Told to Put More Gay Presenters on Children’s TV
• Anti-Islamic Fervour leads to hate crimes!
• Spain Accused of ‘Act of War’ Off Gibraltar
• Pope Suggests Promoting Gay Unions Harms Justice & Peace
• Vive la Dictatorships Worldwide courtesy of Obama!
• Syrian war planes bomb Palestinian refugee camp
• Thought for the Day – Aborting the not quite normal?
• And finally – The worm has turned for this Angler!