By William Brewer
In the week that the medieval and barbaric Taliban behead 17 civilians just for attending a music event in Helmand province, and also another two brave British soldiers are killed, we must once again look at the shocking waste of life and resources this illegal and immoral war is costing Britain.
Since 2001 and for an incredible 11 years now, British and coalition forces have been, it seems, wandering around Afghanistan (and especially Helmand province) making themselves a target for Muslim extremists and the indignant population.
All in the name of "spreading democracy" and other naive PC claptrap.
This military operation was launched in retaliation for the September 11th terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York and blamed on Osama Bin Laden.
Bin Laden actually had no direct involvement with the plot at all, merely approving it, and even the self-confessed mastermind of the plot Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was born in Kuwait and captured in Pakistan!
This misguided and increasingly bloody campaign has served everyone's political and economic interests - except that of Britain. Of course, another reason for this continuing war is to secure the proposed Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Afghanistan_Pipeline).
This ridiculously named "Operation Enduring Freedom" continues to drain our nation of money, resources and more importantly, the best of our youth.
British casualties in Afghanistan currently number 425, of which 385 were killed in action and 40 are known to have died either as a result of illness, non-combat injuries or accidents, or have not yet officially been assigned a cause of death pending the outcome of an investigation.
In addition to this shocking figure, there are a staggering number of under-reported injuries:-
• 1,981 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals and categorised as Wounded in Action, including as a result of hostile action.
• 4,061 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals for disease or non-battle injuries.
• 281 UK personnel were categorised as Very Seriously Injured from all causes, excluding disease.
• 289 UK personnel were categorised as Seriously Injured from all causes, excluding disease.
• 6,065 UK personnel were aero medically evacuated from Afghanistan on medical grounds, for whatever reason.
This grim total now exceeds that of the justified Falklands War and is to the eternal shame of the Labour and Conservative parties, and to all the other political pigmies who continue to support this futile and never-ending war.
And if you think that at the least British industry benefits from supporting our brave soldiers, again you'd be wrong.
Here, are just some examples:-
• British army trucks are made in Germany by M.A.N.
• The Army's camouflage uniforms are now made in China.
• British army handguns are manufactured by Sig Sauer, also in Germany.
• The new longer range Sharpshooter rifle is manufactured in the USA.
With literally millions of pounds 'missing' in phony contracts, the corrupt Karzai family running Kabul like 1930s gangsters, rigged elections and constant allegations of torture and mistreatment, so the slaughter continues.
Already the longest war in US history, the killing is sure to go on as long as the vested interests of big business, private military 'contractors' and corrupt Afghan politicians are served.
There is only ONE political party that has consistently and vociferously opposed British involvement in foreign adventures where NO British interests are threatened.
That party is the British National Party.
We say bring our boys home now!
We need the army to protect our own borders from the immigrant invasion that happens each and every day.
This is the real and present threat to Britain, not the behaviour of savage killers in some far off land.